Sunday, January 6, 2013

Entry #3 - Bangkok's Blatant Disparity Complex


January 6, 2013

                  After a hotel switch and settling into a new space in Bangkok right off of Sukhumvit road at the Royal Benja on Sukuhumvit 5, my eyes were opened to another dimension of Bangkok.  The same theme of seeing such great wealth and built up skyscraper structures right next to some of the poorer slums continued and I would soon learn that this is a feature that is very representative of the way things are in the area.  It seems as if where there is great disparity there is great opportunity for the more fortunate of people while the less fortunate are stuck in there ingrained and unavoidable disadvantaged positions.  Through my perception of this multifaceted city that seems brand new to me, I have no choice but to believe that the popular business model or mindset for the area is a realist one where self interest is put on a pedestal and regard for the surrounding areas is almost completely cast to the side and far beyond the sight of periphery.  What is harnessed here by some of the wealthiest of establishments is a narrow-minded tunnel vision that focuses in efforts to satisfy ones personal needs without addressing the needs of society at large. 
                  To me this seems like something brand new and never seen before but concurrently reveals itself in a manner that cuts through the bullshit and shows how things really are in this world.  Looking back at where I am from in comparison to this land that is brand new to me, I now realize that things are not all that different but are just presented in a more obvious manner than what I am used to.  I now have this notion about how much social standing and different levels of society are compartmentalized in areas around the world but in Bangkok that is not the case.  In this city the most well to do and wealthiest people are up on the rooftops enjoying caviar and lattes looking far over the heads of the working class who are struggling to afford the cost of living below. 
                  I always thought that one day I would be dining on those same rooftops enjoying all of the finer things but with this new found perception of mine, if this is ever going to happen I can only hope that I do not lose sight of the big picture that is painted right in front of me.  While self-interest may be an unavoidable facet of the human mindset and way of being, it is important that I do not let it overcome me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment